Friday, May 11, 2007

What kind of Palm Tree is it?

Yesterday afternoon I came out of the bus to see this branch OPEN? I tried throwing things into the tree to bring down the seeds, THINKING I'D SEND THEM TO ALL MY FRIENDS UP NORTH, SO THEY COULD HAVE PALM TREES.
Well, I didn't do too good at that, so PLAN B comes into play. Get the ladder out so I can cut the limb off. Sure did make a mess of a lot of seeds falling off onto me as I was down lower than the limb I cut off.
I layed the branch out on (WHAT WAS LEFT OF MY AWNING AFTER WE HAD A HARD RAIN & WIND STORM SUNDAY. We got maybe 2" of rain, but we are still in a red zone for fire danger & tonight there is smoke all over & I can smell it. We sure need rain badly.
Next thing I noticed was there were honey bees pollinating it. Then I hear that the seeds have to dry out & it is best left on the palm leaf to do so, SO AT PRESENT, I DON'T HAVE A MILLION SEEDS TO MAIL TO ALL MY FRIENDS. I was told though, it only takes 1 seed to make a Palm Tree. They can live up north in the summertime, but need to be moved inside out of cold weather farther north. A ceiling skylight is great lighting for it, but also they grow good with fluorescent lights.

I have asked several people what kind of Palm Tree this is, but received no answer. Hopefully some of you out there will know. Ron

1 comment:

DarkWing said...

My Dad says it's a royal palm, but he has been wrong before...

It's pretty anyhow :)