Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Snapping Turtle & more

I'm pretty sure this is a SNAPPING TURTLE. This morning as I was waiting on Gregg to show up, Rosa, an employee here at the campground showed to me. She almost reached down to pick it up, but I warned her I didn't think she should. The turtle did hiss or make some noise at Rosa.
So after I left, Rosa took these pictures of the turtle. Hard to see, but the tail has spikes like an alligator. Some are misnomered to be called alligator turtles. You can go look at more at this website: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/turtles/snap.htm

Look at the spikes on the top of the tail if you can see them. Also look at the sharp claws. Their head can stretch out quite aways & reach around almost half way back to their tail. My dad once made turtle soup out of one he caught on a fishing line.

This is Rosa's grandson. She was giving him a bath in the camper kitchen sink.
Daisy this pup was 4 weeks old in this picture & is Rosa's granddaughter's puppy. It is a full bred Boxer. Her granddaughter went roller skating 2 days after school got out & fell, so all summer she had a cast.

No comments: