Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hardee County Museum

I spent most of my afternoon at the museum. I am only able to attach 5 pictures to a story, so this is the 1st installment. Straight ahead as you walk in the door is this scene with a wall Murial, depicting the past history. Seminole Indians here & 3 Indian wars. This county is agricultural with citrus & beef mostly now. No manufacturing in the county.
On the sign-in desk is a moonshine still, with complete instructions on how to make moonshine.
Stepping into the room on the right is this story. Goes back 65 million years. The 1st horses were small as the one in the circle. They were forest animals. The tan one is like Zebras now & present horses as the biggest gray one. Someone did a lot of work on this. Besides being painted, some of it was sculptured.
This is an alligator skin, 11+ feet long. They had some artist drawings of how Indians wrestled them. I know I wouldn't do that!!! I sure enjoyed rubbing my hand over this one's skin though.
This is just inside the door. Must be over 100 antique cameras. If any of you have interest in antique cameras, let me know. They plan to sell some of them to have money to work on other projects. They already have plans to expand the museum.

I am back into the campgrounds & gonna be here for 2 weeks. It is hot here, but I spent most of my time in air conditioning today.

In another blog, I will send a picture of me holding something BIG!!! Also I have a picture I will let you guess what it is. I sure do enjoy going to museums. Also the museum attendant was great. She is Sandy, the photographer I put in the blog that was multi-tasking, (eating ice cream as she photographed). I met her husband today also.

Have a great weekend..............................................................Ron

No comments: